Monday, December 12, 2011

Weighing in on Tebow Time

I can't not blog about this. It's burning a hole in my heart. After yesterday, I can't not say something.

PLEASE PRAY FOR TIM TEBOW!

I'm totally serious. haha! I've been a Christian sports journalist for almost 10 years now, and I've seen so many great stories in that time. God is certainly manifesting Himself through Tim right now and leading a LOT of people to ask questions about faith. And the character of Tim himself is proving to be one of great division and opinion as well.

But let me assure you all. This is all good. Romans 8:28 says that in all things God is working for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose. From all we can tell, Tim Tebow is a child of God. It would be seriously difficult for someone who isn't sold on his faith to make such a stand in the face of tremendous opposition. Obviously, I don't know his heart, but I can observe just like the rest of you.

All I want to do is give him a big hug and tell him to keep it up. That God is with him. That he can do it. That he's not alone. That the body of Christ is standing with him. That we're in his corner.

He's taking a beating right now, I assure you. Yes, things are good on the field as the Broncos keep winning, but there is tremendous pressure mounting. I'm personally praying that the Lord protects him from the pressure. From what he says in the media, he certainly seems to "get it," that it's not about performance. That God loves him regardless of fumbles, touchdowns and pass completions. I pray that takes root in his heart like never before.

I read an article on Relevant Magazine's website this morning, and it made a great point. This isn't just about Tim Tebow, but about the body of Christ together. While Tim is the one who is setting the example, we are the ones who are going to be answering the questions of those who observe him and start asking. Are we ready for those conversations? When Tim thanks Christ in the post-game interviews, are we prepared to talk with our buddies who are sick of hearing it? Are we prepared to talk to others who question the point of sports and faith in general? We need to be. Because regardless of what happens on the field, we are in this together. Tim's setting the example and doing his part to raise awareness. We have to be willing to do our part to follow up with those around us.

1 Peter 3:15 says that we always need to be prepared to answer questions about our faith. I'm going to copy it below as an encouragement to all of us today to get ready. I don't care what you think about Tim Tebow. (Personally, I love the kid and am finding myself cheering for the Broncos more than the Chiefs on the weekends.) But I do care about what you say when others ask you questions about why he's saying what he does.

Let's remember that we're in this together. Pray for Tim and prepare your minds. Seek the Lord and get ready to talk about what's going on. But, as Peter says...do this with gentleness and respect.

Love and hugs, y'all! Verse is below!
- Jill

1 Peter 3:15-16
"But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander."

No comments:

Post a Comment