Friday, April 23, 2010

Proverbs 10:25

In the post-marathon recovery week, I went out for another Garmin-less run this morning just to connect with the Lord and spend some time in prayer. Since the weather radar showed rain and showers all over the area, I decided against the iPod, too. No gadgets. Just me and time to talk with and listen to God.

A little under halfway through the run, I was thoroughly enjoying the time and thinking life was just about perfect at that moment when all of a sudden the skies opened up and it started pouring and blowing. Good thing I'd worn a rain hat and jacket. :) It didn't throw me too much. I've run in the rain before and have learned that it won't kill me. I'll eventually make it back to my place and just enjoy the warm shower that much more.

Funnily enough, the rain downpour only lasted for about a minute and then it was back to normal. Just a slight breeze and a few sprinkles. Nice! Thanks, God.

As I ran home, I thought about it in a spiritual sense. How many times to the storms of life catch us off guard when we're running along in life? This happened to me over and over during the last four months of training. I'd be training as normal when all of a sudden, a random injury would strike, and I'd freak out about it. Before long, though, I was better and back on the road. There had been NO reason to worry. God had it under control the whole time.

How often do we do that? We freak out about the smallest things, when all we need to do is put our heads down, focus on who God is and keep going knowing that He'll eventually lead us through. No, not every one of life's problems are trivial, but God is still the God of all of them. He sees the big picture and knows when the storm will stop. He's the One who will stop it! But only after He's taught us the valuable lessons we can only learn from the wind and rain.

One of my favorite verses is Proverbs 10:25 - "When the storm has swept by the wicked are gone, but the righteous stand firm forever."

Today, whatever storm comes up on you unexpectedly, put your head down, focus on Christ and trust Him. He will eventually lead you through it and back to a dry, warm home. You CAN trust Him.

Have a great day in Him, friends!
-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment