Thursday, February 4, 2010

Day 35...

Man, what a morning! 10-mile tempo runs...You've heard me say it before. They're my absolute FAVORITE workout! You get in that mode of "push it" for an extended period of time. It is the BEST way that I've experienced to get prepared mentally and physically for the marathon. During the full race, the last miles can be really hard. BUT, if you hit mile 16 and realize, "Oh, hey! It's only a 10-mile tempo run to the finish! I've done it a million times." That is totally reassuring and gives you such a boost. Love it!

Anyway, today's was awesome. A 7:37 average. Felt fantastic! Even with the abundance of hills that I'm discovering in my new area. hahaha! Heartbreak Hill...Bring it on!!

I wanted to blog about this yesterday, but I wanted to get the nutrition update out there.

Yesterday was actually the 6th anniversary of my dad's passing. February 3rd, 2004. I miss that guy and always will. In fact, I'll never be able to hear "You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling" without thinking of him and getting tears in my eyes.

My dad, pictured on the left with my awesome step-mom, was one of the most honorable men you could ever meet. He never told a lie, worked his tail off, provided for us and truly, passionately loved his country. If I've said it before, I'll say it again. I'm SO proud to be his daughter. And, without a doubt, his memory and life are what God is using to spur me to run for the troops this April.

My dad was a Vietnam veteran. He gave up a significant amount of his innocense for the freedom and protection of the U.S. and its citizens--for the freedom and good of those he didn't even know in Vietnam. I loved him for it. While I know that it cost us in our relationship as it hindered him from opening up significant areas of his life, I am so proud of him.

Today, I say thank you. Thanks to my dad and thanks to every man and woman who upholds our freedom and protects us from harm. Thank you for your selflessness. May God bless you with His constant love and meet every one of your needs according to HIS riches in glory.

Until tomorrow!
-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment