Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 58...

I'm SOOOOOO excited!!! Remember a couple of weeks ago when I wrote that I was devastated because my daddy/daughter weekend with my step-dad got postponed? Well, today is the day! And, not only is it daddy/daughter weekend, it's also his birthday! My Papa Bear is turning 51 today. And he's spending it with his Baby Girl. I'm so blessed. :) Drive safe, PPB!

Today is also a blessed off day--a nice chance to recover from the week's pounding. First 20-miler got taken care of this week, and we returned to our regular training after a bout with injury. What a blessed and grace-filled week! Thank You, Lord!! I haven't been keeping track of my mileage totals, yet, but I'm sure we're getting up there in numbers, so these rest days are getting pretty critical.

Let's see. . . 20, plus 6, plus 9, plus 6.3, plus 10, plus 6.3, equals...57.6. Not too bad. Not into the 60s, yet, so we're still not at the peak. I think that will happen in the next month.

Yesterday, I had a really cool experience. We were doing some spiritual leadership training at the office, and we all got to take part in a foot-washing ceremony. WOW! Talk about a powerful and humbling experience. If you've never done this, you really must. There's a reason that this story is in the Bible. For Jesus to humble himself and wash the grimy, dirty, disgusting feet of His followers was absolutely jaw-dropping. And for me to have my feet washed by my boss was just unreal. I literally wanted to jump up and say, "No, you totally don't have to do that! I don't want you to have to lower yourself to touching my nasty feet." But for him to be able to do that was an act of pure humility and a symbol of his desire to serve.

You know, it is my prayer that this marathon can be my own way of washing the feet of our troops. Granted, I'm not a King to them like Jesus was to His disciples, nor am I their boss. But the Scripture goes on to reveal that Jesus instructed us all to wash the feet of others out of a heart of humility and serving and love. And that is what I want to do. I want to serve those who serve us. It's not much of anything big--running a race--but it is a way that I can serve those whom I respect and love so much. I am praying that this whole thing brings them spiritual cleansing in some way. That they are able to be washed in the Word by the Bibles we'll be able to buy with the funds we raise. I'm praying that they will be washed by Truth as they experience marriage counseling and PTSD help through what is raised.

"Lord, thank You for lowering Yourself to become a foot-washer. Would You offer Your cleansing and love to the troops through this in the same way? Help us to raise funds and awareness that will bring restorative truth to our brave soldiers. I thank You for each of them, Lord, and ask that You would use this to bless them. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen."

Prayer requests:
-For all that I mentioned above.
-For great recovery today and for a strong 14-miler tomorrow.
-For clear sidewalks.
-For the fending off of a cold that I think I'm getting.
-For the fundraising event on the 13th.

Thanks so much, friends! Ciao!
-Jill

1 comment:

  1. Foot washing is extremely powerful and humbling. I first experienced this as a summer missionary in college. It really helped bring into focus what servant leadership means.

    ReplyDelete