Thursday, February 18, 2010

Day 49...


Well, team, today was unscheduled maintenance day No. 2 of this training program. You all beared the knee scare with me a couple of weeks ago. Now it's on to dealing with a strained adductor muscle in my right leg. Again, your prayers are SO appreciated. I have NO doubt in my mind that God is all over it. There has been so much prayer going into this that I'm 100% convinced that He'll restore me back to the road soon. I'm praying that I'm even able to do the 20-miler on Sunday. We'll see.

If it's one thing I'm learning, it's that I am only given grace for today. I can't see what God's doing in the future. I can plan, but ultimately, I'm just Jill. He's the one with Plan A. :) I am merely on a need-to-know basis. How does that play into this? Well, for starters, because I tend to get really worked up when I'm injured trying to figure out how I'm going to make up for the lost time on the road. I missed a long tempo run this morning. What will I do to squeeze it back in somehow? What if I miss the 20 on Sunday? Where will I make it up? How do I need to adjust? Well, I don't know if I can. But what I do know is that I obeyed the Lord and took to the elliptical machine today. I also know that I am commanded not to worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will take care of itself. (That's in Matthew, I think in chapter 6.)

Another lesson that this injury has taught me--and this is probably the more embarrassing and humbling one to admit--is that training had gotten to "that" point again. And, for that reason, I'm thankful that God allowed this injury. It has given me a smack in the back of the head with a perspective stick.

Anyone who knows me knows just how intense I get during training. I mean, I get RIGID about it. Downright focused. And, while that CAN be a good thing, it always gets to a point where it's out of balance. And, thankfully, God has stepped in at just the right moment. I could tell that I was starting to focus on the training more than anything else--even people. And if my whole purpose in life is to become more like Christ through all experiences, then that was wrong. Christ would never have put marathon training above the people and relationships in His life.

So, that in mind, I am humbly admitting that I took it too far and asking for God to draw me back into His will. Thank You, Lord, for the perspective and for the injury that delivered it. Help me to balance this training with the life You've given me to live as Your daughter. Help me to stay focused on You above all and to continue to love and serve those around me while training. And, please continue to offer Your healing to this body. Let me return to the road with a right mind. Thank You! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Would you pray with and for me? Thanks, team. I appreciate you all so much!
-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment