Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Day 20...


Today was a sloooooooow recovery run. After my speed work yesterday, my legs were absolutely toast this morning. I also think it had to do with the fact that I've been on California time since I got back and haven't been getting the 8 hours of sleep I need at night. I haven't had a solid 8 in probably five or six days. And I know that has piled up. Tonight, that will be a priority! It's amazing how sleep affects this whole thing!


HUGE praise today! Through a Google search for sports nutritionists in the KC area, I came across a Web site for a marvelous woman in Overland Park who works specifically with marathon runners and triathletes on this kind of thing. I shot her a brief e-mail this morning, and much to my delight (and surprise), she actually called me shortly after! Just so happened that she was doing e-mail catch up this morning and was making calls. She was so encouraging even in just our brief conversation, and I know that she really knows what she's doing. I'm excited for our appointment the first week of February and know that God will give me wisdom through her!


When thinking about the nutrition factor, I had a bit of a "pride moment" yesterday. I found myself thinking, "I don't need a nutritionist. I can figure this out on my own. How hard is it to eat more? I am smart enough." WOAH. That's dangerous ground. Proverbs says over and over that wisdom is worth more than almost anything. On the flipside, pride is a SEVERE downfall. Maybe I am smart enough to manage my nutrition on my own, but I'm sure not acting like it. If I was, my weight wouldn't have dropped below the safety line.


I told a friend of mine about my prideful little thought, and she was so great to shoot me straight with biblical truth. "Jill, you are NOT your own. You were bought at a price," she said. Amen! I believe that verse is attached to several others that talk about honoring God with your body. Let me check...


Yep! It's 1 Corinthians 6:19-20:


"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."


"Lord, forgive me for dishonoring You with my body. Forgive me for mistreating the tool You gave me not just for running, but for living and serving You. I pray for wisdom for my nutritionist and for wisdom for me as I learn how to care for Your vessel. Please protect me from destruction and injury as I go through this. Thank You for Your grace and for this awesome new connection! I know You are in control and will give me great wisdom and understanding! In Jesus' name I pray. Amen!"


Today, I believe it's a good lesson for us all to take into account. Do we really think about our bodies and how we treat them as an act of obedience and worship? God gives us our bodies and asks us to steward them. He wants us to be healthy so that we can both enjoy this life and serve Him at our highest potential. Let's all consider our health today. How are we treating our bodies and what should we change? It's not just about us. It's not about physical appearance. It's about being faithful with God's gift to us.


Ciao, friends!

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment