Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Day 27...

Ah, what a great, easy run. A nice, steady 6-miles on the treadmill at an 8:10 average to recover from the beating my legs took yesterday. Thank You, Lord!

I tell you what. . . Learning to take recovery runs is hard for me. While I feel great right now, the fact that my workout wasn't as intense as it could have been makes me feel like I'm getting weaker. Isn't that funny?

When I woke up this morning, I was dragging. Bad. I could really feel the speedwork from yesterday weighing down my legs. Just getting to the treadmill this morning at all was a good workout. haha! But it did show that I needed an easy run to recover. Just a time of working out the legs and putting in a few miles. And that's exactly what happened. It was physically fabulous! And I feel refreshed! It's awesome!

Now, mentally, this is where I have to continue learning to take those thoughts captive...Mentally, I am battling, "You barely worked out! You're going to lose fitness. You could have gone faster and dropped your times even more!" hahaha! LIES! I call you out! True, I could have gone faster. But, my body would have been tired for tomorrow's tempo run AND I would be worn out mentally for tomorrow as well.

It's about delayed gratification today. Yes, my little competitive personality wants to always go faster and harder, but wisdom says no. And truth trumps lie in this case. Thank You, Father for wisdom and recovery today.

(P.S. I think there's a pretty great life-application lesson in here for all of us about going, going, going and not ever taking breaks. Think about it...) :)

Ciao!
-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment