Friday, January 8, 2010

Day Eight...


It's the first day of rest for my legs since I started training. Rest days are easy physically, of course, but when I get into training, they become a challenge mentally. It's hard to understand that the body needs these days just as much as it needs the days of pounding the pavement. Intellectually, I understand that I must do this and let my body recover, but emotionally, my competitive spirit wants to RUN! haha! I want to get faster and better every day! "Listen, Jill...This WILL make you faster and better."


I feel like this is a great spiritual metaphor. How many times do we get so caught up in "doing," that we forget all about God's command for us to BE STILL. Just like our physical bodies need rest during training, so our souls need rest during life. Psalm 46:10 says, "Be still and know that I am God."


I guarantee that if I didn't take these rest days from running I'd quickly get burned out. I'd get broken down physically and consumed mentally. If we don't be still before the Lord and wait on Him in fellowship (and REST in His presence), we will get broken down physically and consumed mentally by the world.


Today, especially as we enter the weekend, I encourage us all to carve out time to be STILL before God. Use that time to let Him refresh you so that when necessary, you can hit the ground running stronger than before.


Ciao!

-Jill

No comments:

Post a Comment