Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day Three...


Here's to a day of completely changed plans. It's only 10:30 a.m., and already I've had to do quite a bit of rearranging. For instance, I just attempted to go to church. On my way out, my neighbor passed me and chided me for leaving the house. "I'll show him!" I thought. Well, I managed somehow to make it out of the parking lot, but when I got to my first actual road and realized that it was completely unsafe (and still snowing heavily), I turned around and heeded the wisdom of my neighbor.


Similar situation this morning on the run. Jackie and I had planned to bundle up and hit the road early for 12 miles. It was snowing when I left the house in what felt like 17 layers of clothing, but it wasn't unbearable. But poor Jackie. She'd looked all over for her facemask this morning and hadn't been able to find it. She threw on a scarf and wrapped it around her mouth, but it just wasn't going to cut it. We got out of the apartment complex, turned onto the road heading northeast-ish (directly into the wind) and that cold was just killing her. There's no WAY it would have been safe for her to run without something on her face. So, we turned back into the complex and agreed to meet up 10 minutes later to hit the treadmills together.


Honestly, it was a great blessing. Typically, doing long runs on treadmills is absolute torture. But 12 miles pretty much flew by with a buddy. It had been a while since we'd seen each other, so we had a lot to catch up on. Before I knew it, 93 minutes was up and we were heading our separate ways. She was going to try to get to church, too. I wonder if she made it out... :)


You know, there are so many things in life that the Lord uses to remind us that we are not in control. The weather is certainly one of them. I can plan and plan and plan, but at the end of the day, I'm just me. I'm just a human. But thankfully, I'm a human under the care and protection of a God who loves me. Lamentations 3 talks about sitting in silence when the Lord asks us to. That's apparently what today is going to be about. The weather is of the Lord's making, so I'm going to enjoy it and use it to rest and enjoy His presence. The snow is really pretty, after all. Thanks for the great view out the window, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment